Another Three Action Thursday piece is here, serving up knowledge bombs for your brain! Last week’s piece entitled “Do You Know What is Worse than Coronavirus?” covered the mental effects of the pandemic and how we can push past the discouragement part of this global challenge. This week my hope is to provide you with some content that you use at home on your own or with your family.
VIRTUAL TOURS & LIVE CAMS
Many of the museums and zoos here in the United States and around the world have laboriously created detailed virtual tours utilizing high-resolution pictures, 360-degree walk-throughs, videos, etc. Others are utilizing their live cams to offer sneak peeks into their attractions, but also for daily live tours.
- Museum Views by Google – leverages Google Street View technology indoors at various museums
- The Louvre – Virtual Tour
- Ellis Island – Virtual Tour
- Cincinnati Zoo Home Safari – 3pm EST Daily Live Streams
- San Diego Zoo – Live Cams & Bonus Footage
- Georgia Aquarium’s Ocean Voyager webcam (wait for the whale shark!)
- “Jellycam” at Monterey Bay Aquarium (so soothing)
- National Aquarium – Virtual Tour
- Seattle Aquarium – 30-minute video tour
- Stellarium – Use your current location to see what is in the night’s sky!
STRENGTHENING YOUR LEARNING ORIENTATION MUSCLES
There are a ton of online resources available for you to expand learning and extend your knowledge in all sorts of areas. Not all these are free; still, they are high quality and will stretch you a bit.
- MIT OpenCourseWare – who wouldn’t want to say they took a class at MIT?
- UDEMY – an online learning platform aimed at professional adults and students
- SKILLSHARE – an online community for people who want to learn from educational videos
ENTERTAINMENT WITH A HINT OF EDUCATION
Admittedly, these are just some of my favorite YouTube channels.
Bunching these together: three sailing vlogs. They put out content on a regular basis showing their travel exploits around the world by BOAT.
- Gone with the Wynns – young married couple
- Sailing La Vagabonde – a couple and their toddler son
- Sailing Zatara – a family of five on one boat
These are two smart, level-headed guys that talk about stuff I’m interested in (business, real estate, and personal finance). They’re timely in response to everything pandemic-related but they have been solidly mixing in other content, too.
- Quick self-audit: Am I using my free time to grow in some area of my life?
- If you have not already, carve out time in all this – however limited – to learn something new or experience something you have never experienced before.
- Share in the 3AT Facebook group a new skill or experience you’ve had during the pandemic that you think others might enjoy.**