Three weeks ago I invited you to jump in on the next three books the Three Action Thursday Community is planning to read. I wanted to touch on a few things that I learned in the first book, Atomic Habits by James Clear.
My book summary in two sentences:
- An atomic habit is a regular practice that is small and easy to do but is also the catalyst for incredible achievement and personal change – an immense source of power.
- Changes that seem small and unimportant at first will compound into remarkable results if you’re willing to stick with them for years; goals are pointless, you must have systems.
Three Action Thursday Takeaways:
- Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement.
- If you want better results, forget about setting goals. Focus on your systems instead to become who you wish to be.
- The Four Laws of Behavior Change are a set of rules we can use to build better habits. They are (1) make it obvious, (2) make it attractive, (3) make it easy, and (4) make it satisfying.
Life Changing “Aha Moment”:
Instead of using the words “I have to…”
I have to go to work.
I have to do the dishes.
I have to give the kids a bath.
….use the words “I get to…” instead!
I get to go to work. (not everyone does)
I get to do the dishes. (you have money and resources for food)
I get to give the kids a bath. (time with family, opportunity to deepen relationships)